Preparation for the Best Spray Tan!
For the best spray tan preparation – follow these four simple steps prior to your appointment:
1. Do all of your shaving 24 hours before your spray tan appointment. This will give any tiny nicks time to heal before your spray tan is applied. Shaving immediately afterward will cause your spray tan to flake off.
2. Exfoliate your skin 24 hours before your spray tan to get rid of any dead skin cells. Any dry or rough patches will absorb more color than the rest of your skin, leaving you looking blotchy rather than glowing. Use a washcloth and exfoliating scrub for best results, and focus on your elbows, knees and feet. Mesh or Loofah exfoliating products are not the best choice because they produce an uneven exfoliation.
3. Do not wear lotion, perfume, deodorant or makeup prior to your spray tan appointment. The chemicals in these products may interfere with the all-natural tanning solution.
4. Wear loose, dark clothing to your spray tanning session. Some of the tanning solution will likely come off onto your clothing, but the all-natural solution can be easily washed out of most fabrics. For minimal coverage, wear either undergarment and bra, swim suit, or disposable undergarments (available upon request). Women only may choose to tan in the nude, men must wear an undergarment.
**Please note that we reserve the right to refuse service at our discretion. Men can be spray tanned only when accompanied by a female, or when part of a professional competition package. Our policy is that we do not provide spray tanning to nude men.**
After tanning, continue to wear dark, loose fitting clothing until your first shower.
NO SWEATING!! That means no excessive exercise or exertion for at least 6 to 8 hours is optimal.
Wait at least 6 to 8 hours before showering (or 2 to 4 hours for a “Rapid Tan”). Some people like to wait and shower the next day, this is fine because the tanning solution is still developing for 24 hours. For the first shower after your spray tan, we recommend a warm water rinse only – no soaps, washcloths or scrubs, just rinse with warm water until the water runs clear. You will notice some of the color rinsing off in the shower – this is normal, it is only the excess solution left on your skins surface. The tanning solution has already been absorbed into the skin, and will still show your color. After getting out of the shower, pat dry your skin with a clean towel – do not rub or scrub, and continue using your normal moisturizing lotion.
Wait at least 24 hours before swimming or hot tub use, salt water or chlorine are especially damaging to your spray tan.
Avoid any creams, lotions or scrubs designed to exfoliate your skin until you ready for your tan to come off.
Here is a list of some products that will damage a sunless airbrush spray tan:
- Dove Brand Soap or Shower Gel
- Curel Lotion
- Tanning Oils or Skin Moisturizers that contain Mineral Oil
- Anti-Aging products that “renew”, “refresh”, “brighten” or “exfoliate” your skin
- Beta-Hydroxy Acids and Salicylic Acids
- Retin-A type products
- Toners containing alcohols or Witch Hazel
- Anti-Acne products that “exfoliate” your skin
- Makeup removers and cleaning products or oils
- Anti-Bacterial Soap varieties
Here is a list of some all-natural ingredients that will help to nourish and moisturize your skin, as well as to prolong and preserve your spray tan:
- Shea Butter and Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Grape Seed Oil
- Olive Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Argan Oil